Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sensible Shoes

I am incapable of buying sensible shoes.

I believe this is why - or at least one of the reasons why - I have so very many shoes. I go shopping - frequently - on a quest for sensible shoes. Comfy shoes. Shoes that will carry me through a long day of walking uphill while pushing a stroller, grocery shopping while bribing with treats, playing at the park in all its dirty, sandy, glory, and simply being me: a woman who might be a mother, but still likes to think she has a little style.

That's the problem: as soon as I get to the store, the sensible shoes look so frumpy compared to the stylish ones. And the sensible ones always seem to be more expensive! So I end up getting the cute metallic pumps, or the fun white heels with the floral embellishment, on sale, of course, and coming home sans sensible footwear.

Also, I really don't look good in flats. They make my legs look like tree stumps. There I said it. I try them on, stand in front of the mirror, and lumberjacks everywhere salivate.

Yesterday, I noticed Trove, one of my all time favourite stores, is having a sale.

All footwear and handbags 50% off.

You have no idea. The panic/excitement/must shop must shop/shop or perish shop or perish refrain was almost unbearable. I made a promise to myself to bypass all the pumps and pretty handbags and only look at their collection of sensible, eco-friendly footwear. They have tons, and I've had my eye on a few flat (ish) pairs.

In I went, squeezing through the aisles with my double stroller, both children placated with goldfish crackers and promises of a trip to the park.

I tried on every single pair of sensible shoes in the place. Ask the salesgirl.

I also tried on a pair that seemed to be a compromise between sensible and stylish.

What do you think?



I hope you like them, because these are the ones that followed me home. (Who doesn't adore that commercial?)

They're called El Natura Lista and they're made of eco-friendly materials, recycled when possible and sustainable, too. The company also runs and contributes to humanitarian efforts, which I think is nifty. Also, they make funky shoes. Check out the site. http://elnaturalista.ca/

The ones I bought have a tiny heel, so I suppose they're not exactly suitable for long hikes on wilderness paths, but I'm not really the wilderness path type. I like to stick to the sidewalks so I can still look in the shop windows.

Also, they're red. (The photo doesn't quite reflect the fabulousness of the red. In person, they're deeper, more black cherry than apple.) So I suppose they won't go with everything. Then again, Stacey on What Not to Wear is always insisting red is a neutral, and saying things like "Shut up! I love a red shoe."

So, shut up, I suppose! I love a red shoe, too.

xo Marissa

1 comment:

  1. So cute! And I saw the sign but I didn't go in because they were closed! Is that your SHOE CLOSET??? I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete